How Can We Help?
If you are one of the majority of our clients, who have a December 31 year end, as you approach the middle of your 4th Quarter, it is time once again to think about AND THIS TIME DO SOMETHING ABOUT your ever growing data folder, and what to do with old data.
As you know, all transactions recorded in Sage 300 CRE are entered in the originating application’s NEW file (for example, new.prt for Payroll and new.glt for General Ledger). After you Post transactions (either manually or automatically as per your software’s settings), the New file is emptied and the transactions are transferred to the CURRENT file (for example, current.jct for Job Cost and current.art for Accounts Receivable). Over time, the current.xxx files grow and grow and grow, as new transactions are continually added but old transactions are not archived to either a history file in your active data folder or to a separate ARCHIVE folder. If nothing else, the overwhelming size of your CURRENT files slows down processing speed, as each record in the file needs to be read every time you run a report.
This month, we will discuss the steps necessary to create an Archive data folder. Next month, Part 2 will discuss the actual archiving/file maintenance process.
It is very easy to create a new data folder to become the destination of old transactions. From Sage Desktop, select OPTIONS (located in the horizontal menu bar)>New Company.
This creates a Ts.ctl file and will enable you to now select this folder from your list when you launch the “Open Company” command.
To complete this setup:
- Enter a new company name that distinguishes the archive folder from your current data folder. Consider using something like “ZZArchive Folder” so that the “ZZ…” places this folder alphabetically LAST in your list of folders (just a personal preference – not required).
- The Data Folder Path Name filed may prefill with the proper location you desire. If not, first check the path of your live data folder and then enter the data folder path name you need.
- Select the “Use current setup” check box so the setup options are the same in the archive folder as for the live data such as:
- Accounting Method and Batch items in the Company Settings window.
- All settings in the Batch Control Totals window.
- All settings in the File Locations window and Custom Descriptions window, including sections for Accounts Receivable invoices, Contracts and items, General Ledger accounts and Job Cost jobs and cost codes.
- Post and interface settings.
- Optionally, enter some text in the Data Folder Description field. This will further distinguish this data folder from your other data folders when you are opening companies for selection.
Now you are all set to start your archiving process, which we will discuss in further detail next month.
Should you need any further assistance creating your company’s archive data folder, please call your United Solutions, Inc. consultant.